Monday, December 1, 2008

First Semester Almost Finished



Well It's been a long time since my last blog. I apologize. My power chord for my laptop broke, but I finally got the replacement. Much has happened since last time.

It's getting much colder here. It's been averaging 40 at night and 50 during the day.
The students have also been restless. They are all stressed about finals. We have about 4 more weeks of school left. So we will finish right before Christmas. We will have 6 weeks off from school so we are still deciding where to go for a warm get away. I am planning to visit my mom in Russia during the Chinese New Year but that will not be until the end of January. And that will be a cold get away.

Things are going well. I play music at Mr. Mai's every Tuesday night and that has been a highlight of my week. I met some other foreigners who also play music. The last couple of weeks there were about 60 people! They all want to take pictures with me and be email pals with me. It's pretty funny. I feel like I have reached a semi-celebrity status out here. I will be out in the town and someone will stop me and tell me they saw my performance. It's quite hysterical.

We had a good Thanksgiving. We got together with our fellowship and ate turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy and all of that good stuff. We played games with the kids and watched a download football game. It's nothing like the states but I will not forget days like that which make up my China Experience. But I could use prayer for this season. It is lonely sometimes when you can't see family and friends during the holidays. Yet I am surrounded by great friends who share the same feelings and experiences. It's easier when there are more people during those time.

I did not bring my camera for thanksgiving(of course I forget it during important times) but here are some pictures of a trip we took to a tourist farm.


An irrigation system in the ancient days. We would pedal like a bike and it brings up the water from the lake below! Pretty cool!



I don't know why they had these stilts here but it was fun.


My Boss Kai and another teacher Jessie at the farm. Haha

"Don't pick the plants" This sign was right in front of the next picture!


I don't think anyone wants to pick these plants!

10 comments:

Barbara Bartlett said...

hey sport...good to see some pictures of you guys! i love it cuz you always look like you are having so much fun. i love the sign infront of the cactus. :) and it's a great picture of all of you guys together...happy faces!

Anonymous said...

Taylor
It sounds like an incredible time- keep on going! Know that you are missed here too and that you are doing great things.
I love the celebrity status! That's great!
:]
co-lova youre the best. KEEP ON GOIN!!!
much love dear friend!

Stew said...

There's other foreigners that are into music!!! I am glad you can keep the jam sessions going. That's great man. I have got my own project going out here. I have a new effects board for my electric. It's fun to mess around with at youth group. I'll start looking for you online so we can talk.

Peace bro

Carpenters said...

Great update! I'm glad to hear about the great time you're having at Mai's on Tuesdays. The photo of you 5 is great! We're thinking of you, esepcially as you're missing family. May you feel His peace.

Adam & Becca Carpenter said...

Taylor I love the photo with Kai. I'm just considering how much of a celebrity you'd be if you had hair like his. Wow! Seriously Dad is using your "fame" to pave the way for some pretty good fame of His own. You make me proud. I hope those China holidays are rich in new perspective and relationship. I know it is hard. I remember a cold bumpy busride with an upset stomach on Christmas Eve. It was very "unChristmas" in most senses of my upbringing, but then there was something so much more pure about it as well. I hope that Dad gives you amazing perspectives and helps you to assist the new friends with you as they incorporate a foreign holiday season. I invited 157 people to join 25 teams this weekend. Wow. Your year was 23. Last year was 18. We're back up to 25. Dad must help us. ; )

Wanda said...

Taylor, I am so glad to here how you are doing and how you are enjoying what you do. Your father
is so good to you and I hope that
he will continue having his hand upon you.
It is so great that you can play at Mia's, it is something you so
enjoy.
We are all doing good here, the fellowship is growing and the spirit is moving. Such a beautiful
thing to see.
We miss you bro and are prying for you. The father's speed. Wanda

Anonymous said...

make a mark here :)

Anonymous said...

TayBar,
Miss you brother. It is good to hear about your time in China since your last post. Now since you have your powercord back we need to skype soon. I miss you man like crazy. I hope that you are learning a lot about Him. I would love to talk to you soon. You are in my prayers often. Love you man.

Nate

Anonymous said...

Tay Tay!
It was great Skyping it up with you! Keep up the stellar teaching. And watch out for those dogs.

Anonymous said...

Hey Taylor, It is so wonderful that you keep us updated. I love that you get to share at Mai's.
That is great that there were that many to hear the Christmas story.
I know it is lonely on the holiday's but we are proud of you for doing the father's business & He is always there to give you the love & peace that you need. love you & miss you. Wanda