Monday, October 15, 2007

It's starting to get cold!

Well I know that it's hard to believe, but it got cold over night here. One day it was hot and humid and the next it was windy and cold. This will be my first winter outside of southern California. Many people relate the winter here to the winter in Seattle. So it won't be too bad, but it will be a very wet and long winter. I have started to travel around the city on Monday's and Wednesday's because i have a break from 10:30 to 2:30. So it gives me enough time to hop on a bus and get off whatever area of town captures my interest.

I got a haircut today. Hahaha. I was a bit apprehensive at first but it turned out pretty well. The one thing that you must realize it that the barber shops and hair salons here are like night clubs. They pump loud music and they are open for long hours of the night. Before I went into the barber shop i learned the phrase "Just a trim" in Chinese. So I started to walk around downtown and find a shop that "looked" appealing. But there was one problem. All of the shops I was looking at had pictures of girls on the outside...so I think it was just for girls. So the 4th barber I found had a guy inside also getting his haircut. So now it was time to face my fears. I walked up to the barber shop and I was greeted by a boy with his hair sticking straight up and bangs that went half way down his face. Just my luck, right? So I said the Chinese phrase, "Just a trim", "Just a trim". He nodded and brought me back to the sinks to wash my hair. This is standard procedure for a haircut. He washed my hair...twice. Then he conditioned my hair and he started to give my head a massage. I couldn't help it, I started to laugh. Out loud. It was just too funny for me to keep it inside. I was thinking, "All this for a haircut!" hahaha it was too funny. After about 40 minutes of washing...rinsing, washing again, rinsing; and the conditioning massage...I was finally ready for the haircut. So he waved over the barber and I repeated the phrase that I had previously told him, and he started to cut my hair. He did a pretty good job...although at the end of the haircut he blow dried my hair straight up! I looked like Don King! It was quite the adventure.


Don King haircut!


They think being white is perfect. So they have this whitening cream that makes their skin whiter. Yeah, kinda like Michael Jackson!


Around Town.


I found this park/statue area...it was relaxing.


Some military recruitment poster.


Starbucks...coming soon. We are so excited. They are opening up three in the city!


Bamboo Scaffolding! It's pretty sturdy.


That's all. Thanks for reading and taking the time to look at pictures. And thanks for your comments. I always love reading them.

9 comments:

Fuzzyplaydoh said...

Hey TayTay,
Good to hear from you! (Love the haircut...even blow dried straight up!)
Kewl pics! Keep sending 'em..they're really interesting.
We are remembering you a lot around here. Good to know our dad is keeping his watchful eye on you.
He's such a good dad!
Jenn

Barbara Bartlett said...

nice hair! it's not the traditional hair cut i took you and your brother to get for 1/2 of your life! it sounds like you are having alot of fun. i cant wait to come and visit you...keep up the touring around town so you will know where to take me! i love you sport.

Anonymous said...

hey man. dude i miss you. its always good to hear how you are doing and to get updates from china. thats sweet that you have time to travel around a little and see the city. that works out well that your schedule lets you do that. dude i like the new hair cut i am sure all the ladies in china are digging it. hahahha. anyways we should set up a time to chat again on skype. ill go on sometime at like 4pm my time and hopefully we can catch each other. well love you man, miss you and you are daily in my prayers.

in him,
nate

Anonymous said...

Hi Taylor! I've finally been able to catch up on your blogs and photos. Sophia's sleeping now, so I have a little free time. She's the best gift I've ever received and I'm having so much fun being a mom. Oh man, I loved your story about the haircut. That was hillarious, I was seriously laughing out loud! I can totally picture it. You know, a lot of my foreigner friends in China would go to the salon just for the shampoo and massage, although I never went becuase I too was afraid of them cutting my hair. I'd seen too many of my friends get bad cuts. Instead I let Adam cut my hair, but I think that was an even worse choice. Ha! I loved how you described the kids hair. That's so true! hahaha! I hear from Stew that you have some time off. Enjoy that. You're always in Adam's and my thoughts. ~Becca

Anonymous said...

gramma says take care of youself. it looks and sounds like its a nice place. i like you hair it looke good. we will miss you at thanksgiving and our big christmas party in the desert. the girls are now living in their own place so its a little lonely here,they took pedro with them. i love you.

Anonymous said...

hi tay i am trying to teach gma how to comment

Adam & Becca Carpenter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adam & Becca Carpenter said...

Taylor, I like the hair puff. Aren't the Chinese boyz styled CRAZY! It's more like a show to me than a barber shop. Isn't it amazing that you can't even go out and get a haircut according to your expectations. I remember so many situations (which should have been common) being out-of-control times of laughing. It's part of the joy and frutstration mixed all in one. How do you communicate something so bizzare and wonderful. Don't know... but it sure is fun. I'll be really excited to hear more about your plans for travel during Spring Festival. You're going to cover the country if you head clear south to HK and then west to XiZang (Tibet) Keep up the daily practice in Chinese, it will be indispensible. I'm prying for ya lots! Adam

misscarrieberry said...

hey don king. i mean taybar. so i can't find your address.....so i don't know, i'll figure it out i guess. yeah for chinese hair massages and haircuts! i bet you are going to miss those like crazy come july 2008!!!!